At South Stanley Infant and Nursery School, we understand the importance of Mathematics and the value of Mathematics as a life skill. During their time with us, children will develop their fluency, problem solving and reasoning skills in Maths.
The National Curriculum for mathematics states that all pupils:
- Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils have understanding and are able to recall and apply their knowledge rapidly and accurately to problems
- Reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language
- Solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
In order for the children to achieve this, we use a Mastery approach to teaching Mathematics. The intention of this approach is for all children to master the curriculum (set out in the National Curriculum 2014)
In line with the Singapore approach to teaching mathematics, the content is taught slower, starting with the very basic steps and then built on in order to achieve an in-depth understanding which will become embedded over time. The other key concepts from Maths Mastery (see diagram) must be embedded into the learning.
The 5 concepts are integral in all teaching and learning.
Our Mathematics curriculum covers the following areas:
- Number and Place Value.
- Addition and Subtraction.
- Multiplication and Division.
- Geometry – Properties of shape, position and direction.
Please see our Maths long term planning below:
Please see our calculation policy below: