At South Stanley Infant and Nursery School we recognise how important a successful transition is to our pupils with additional needs.
We work in partnership with our feeder junior schools to provide an enhanced level of transition for those who we feel would benefit from this. This may take the form of additional visits for pupils, one to one / small group working with junior school staff or pupil mentoring from junior schools.
Meetings between Mrs Jeanette Collier (SENCO Infant school) and the SENCO at South Stanley Junior School take place to discuss all children who have additional needs. If it is felt appropriate Junior school colleagues will also attend annual reviews.
Transition from each year group is supported so that the children have met with their new teachers and familiarised themselves with their new classroom environment through half day and full day visits.
New starters for Reception children are provided with the following opportunities:
- Parent open information event
- Children’s visits to reception class in the summer term
- Reception pupils and parents invited for school lunch
- Shortened sessions if needed
- Support during lunchtime if needed
- Reception staff visiting feeder nurseries
New nursery children are provided with the following opportunities:
- Parent open information event and initial visit for children
- One week of visits in the summer term, gradually increasing to full session when children are settled
- Staff discussion and transfer of information from pre-nursery school setting
- Discussion with health visitor and other outside agencies if SEND has been previously identified
If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements in detail please contact the school to arrange an appointment.